Sunday, February 06, 2011

My love for art...

It has been ages since I drew or sketched on a paper sheet... let alone painting. Recently there was this T-shirt design competition held in my office and some of my colleagues pushed me into the competition... The theme was 'Rang De Basanti' (The competition was held on the eve of The Indian Republic Day.) One of the primary rules was that we could not draw the flag as it would be an insult to the tricolor. Some how we came across some designs over the internet, over night I bought a hand full of fabric paint bottles (with some help from Dad & my drawing sir from school) and lo! I was all set to draw!!! Holding the brush and sweeping the T-shirt with vivid hues had never been so easy! All of a sudden I realized that this had been inside me all along! (My mom always said that I was an artist.. I never took her seriously) I had always loved colors, my friends say that 'Geet is a colorful person'. During the competition, which was of 45 minutes duration only, I still cannot understand how those patterns and ideas came into my head or rather my brush-tip, and those numerous internet printouts actually merged into a colorful display of Patriotism spoken through colors! The end result was simply breath taking... Even I couldn't believe that I had made it! 

This was enough for me to go crazy about my painting-instincts all over again.. I thought to start over with a simple 'Patachitra' .. the religious folk art of Orissa and Bengal. Have a look at my creation below...


This is a representation of Dandiya(folk dance of Gujarat)  in Patachitra style. As you can see from the border that there are red flowers and twigs attaching them. I do not know exactly what they signify. But all that I can say is this is a representation of union of souls .. leading to a colorful display of happiness and celebration. My next trial will be a Warli painting ( It some what resembles the tribal art of my state -Orissa).I will try to make it multichrome because the original style is monochromic with geometrical patterns. Until then.. enjoy my latest masterpiece :)

No comments:

Post a Comment